|Historic North End - Boston,
Updated April 22nd, 2013
- New City America, working in conjunction with Attorney Bob Goldsmith, the Urban Enterprise Zone, Councilman Ras Baraka’s office and the Deputy Mayor of Economic Development for Mayor Cory Booker, has successfully established a new Bergen/Lyons/Clinton Avenue Special Improvement District in the City’s South Ward. This is New City America’s 67th District formed nationwide. This SID is unique in that major tax-exempt property owners are contributing to the District and all property owners, regardless of land use, pay something into the District. This is the first district with these features in the City of Newark, New Jersey.
- New City America has been awarded a contract to administer the newly formed Downtown Glendale Association, which is the managing entity for the Downtown Glendale Community Benefit District. NCA staff will oversee all administration tasks for the newly formed corporation. Additionally, New City Public Spaces, a new corporation launched by New City America, was awarded a contract to oversee the Sidewalk Operations component of the Downtown Glendale CBD. NCPS will provide liaison and oversight for the service providers and act as a go-between from the City and the service providers and the stakeholders and the service providers.
- New City America has established its 66th Community Benefit District, this time in the emerging ethnic neighborhood of Barrio Logan in San Diego. Barrio Logan is known throughout the world for its famous Chicano Murals painted on the pillars of the Coronado Bridge. It is the oldest established Latino neighborhood and business district in San Diego County and home to many of the city’s tuna canneries, ship building and more recently, the center of retail, design, architecture and residential land uses. New City America is proud of this achievement and extremely gratified to see that over 60% of the voting property owners cast their ballots to support the creation of this new CBD in San Diego.
- On December 13th, Marco Li Mandri, Principal of the newly formed New City Public Spaces, gave a presentation on public space development and branding to the Branding Sub-Committee of the Downtown Sacramento Partnership (BID). Marco went over the success of the branding efforts of San Diego’s Little Italy district over the past 10 years and used it as a model for what could be done in Downtown Sacramento – one of the most attractive Downtowns in the State of California;
- New City America has established its 65th BID/Community Benefit District, this time in the thriving South Park District in Downtown Los Angeles. South Park is the home of the Staples Center, LA Live and over 3,000 new residential units. The CBD was approved by a vote of over 90% of the property owners who returned ballots. New City America has formed more districts in Los Angeles than any other company.
- On October 30th, Marco Li Mandri, President of New City America, gave a workshop presentation at the Annual Conference of the California Downtown Association. Marco spent 75 minutes going over public space development and branding in business districts and neighborhoods in San Diego’s Little Italy, as well as giving examples of good and bad public spaces developed throughout the US over the past 10 years;
- New City America has established its 64th BID/Community Benefit District, this time in the Downtown area of Glendale California. NCA was hired in March to complete the lagging process of district formation in March 2012 and was able to work with the property owners, write a new plan and bring the district to a vote within 4 months. Over 70% of the property owner returned ballots support formation of this district. This is the first property assessment district of its kind in Glendale and will transform Downtown Glendale into a dynamic bustling mixed use Downtown to rival Old Pasadena in the San Gabriel Valley of Los Angeles.
- New City America has established its 63rd BID, this time in the North Franklin District of the City of Sacramento, California (the state capital). The renewal of the North Franklin PBID was accomplished with a 30% increase in revenues and a far more detailed plan than done by the previous consultant. Nearly 60% of the voting property owners cast their ballots in favor of the district. (See attached letter of recommendation in “Client Satisfaction”;
- New City America has been awarded a contract to investigate and possibly form a Community Benefit District/Property Business Improvement District in Downtown San Leandro. San Leandro is a high tech, growing city in the San Francisco Bay Area whose history and identity is tied to its various plazas, commercial mix and great location in the region.
- New City America has been awarded a contract to investigate and possibly form a new Community Benefit District/Maintenance Assessment District in the Pacific Beach business district of the City of San Diego. Pacific Beach boasts one of the best commercial corridors and beach business districts in all of Southern California.
- New City America has been awarded a contract to investigate and establish a new Downtown Community Benefit District in Arcadia California. Arcadia is a charming community with one of the oldest commercial districts in the San Gabriel Valley north of Los Angeles;
- New City America East (a partnership between New City America and Taggart and Associates of Bethlehem, PA), has been awarded a contract from Lehigh University to complete the proposed Southside Bethlehem Neighborhood Improvement District. The Southside NID was initiated around 3 years ago and stalled due to a number of factors. Lehigh University, an historic University based in Bethlehem for over 100 years, has taken this important step to give the final push to the NID effort and has selected NCAE to complete the process. This new NID should be formed by the end of 2012;
- Marco Li Mandri, President of New City America, spoke in late May to a large gathering of business and community leaders in Hamilton County, surrounding Cincinnati Ohio. The event sponsored by the Hamilton County Regional Planning Committee was very well attended and the speech by Marco was very well received. Look for a video of the speech coming up on the Website by late June.
- New City America has formed its 62nd District, this time in Seattle Washington as the “Downtown Seattle Tourism Improvement District”. This is formally the first district New City America has formed outside of California, with other districts pending in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Illinois.
- New City America formed its 61st Business Improvement District on May 3rd, this time in the North Shattuck area of Berkeley California. Long known as the “Gourmet Ghetto” and home of the California Cuisine, property owners by an overwhelming margin, voted to renew this BID established originally in 2000. The North Shattuck BID was the first 10 year district established in Berkeley and has now been renewed for another 10 years;